First things first. I am not a mortgage advisor. Second things second. I do know a good deal when I see one!
Eleanor Williams of Moneyfacts says: ‘Following the end of a stamp duty holiday which kept the property market buoyant for much of 2021, it may be that providers are now focusing on enticing first-time buyer business, which has often been considered the lifeblood of the housing market.’
This certainly does seem the case and with 90% and 95% mortgages allowing a combined £50,000 income a borrowing capacity of up to £225,000.
Rates sit lower with two-year deals than for five (for obvious reasons) and currently Platform can offer first time buyers with 90% of a properties value, a rate as low as 1.61%.
It’s NOT just about lending and borrowing though, is it?
You’ve got to first find a house and then be the fortunate soul to actually “win” it!
Here is a selection of my favourite five (and quite subjectively) most effective ways to “win” the property you have fallen in love with!
- Ensure you sign up for Rightmove alerts! Despite their being many other portals available, Rightmove has the lion’s share of all properties on the open market! (Use the map tool combined with simple filters. If your search parameter is too big you will spend too much time ploughing through unnecessary properties when you could be booking the viewings!).
- Have proof of deposit and mortgage agreement ready to show the agent, or even the seller, before you are even asked (This will save the often “lazy” agent from having to ask you for this later. Even ask for the agent’s card or email and send it to them whilst on the viewing itself!)
- Do not ask for a specific time slot or day! (Although you obviously have a life, anything that prevents you from attending your dream viewing at the earliest opportunity is a wall to success. If the agent says Saturday at 23:00, then reschedule the drinks and get there as it may be your only opportunity!)
- Be nice. Did you know that babies who smile and toddlers who are more agreeable are more likely to be looked after by the Cave dwelling tribe than the noisy, disagreeable ones (maybe not thrown out in the cold but probably not getting first dibs of Mammoth either!). Simple, be nice. Estate Agents are not Sabre Tooth Tigers but they do work in the sellers best interest. They also work long, unsociable hours (and some are also actually quite nice too) so making their day easier/better/enjoyable/funny is a very endearing and memorable quality!
At Bayzos we do not have a one size fits all policy and we believe so strongly in building, nurturing, and developing long term relationships that extend beyond just a sale or purchase.
We can offer and recommend mortgage advice and solicitor referrals (only ones that pick up the phone mind!) and putting smiles on faces is our number one priority.
I hope you’ve all had a good week and best of success with your property search.
Number five (you didn’t think we’d forgotten did you!):
- Get your interest to the agent before the house goes live! facebook.com/groups/exclusivebuyersbayzos is a great way to get sneak peaks before the rest of the competition! Register here, follow the first four tips and you’ll have such a better chance I assure you!
Thank you for reading…..